Wednesday 10 June 2009

Two little monkey shaped mistakes

(Manuel, Anna and Carlota on Sunday with our lunch of pupusas and champagne!)

I had another fun weekend this week although it was a bit less action packed than the one before so I had some time to rest and to .....think.

I have been thinking about my blog recently after starting to follow a number of other blogs more religously. Including the one by American Jess which is always an inspiration, not just because of what she does but because of the way she writes, well she is a writer after all so i guess it comes naturally.
I've also started following the Wimbledon 2009 blog in my attempt to feel more connected with England and the rest of the world, plus ever since I lived in Putney for a year and went to see some of Wimbledon 2007 it became alot more interesting!
Anyway its made me realise that blogging only once a week means I only have time to describe the events of the week and not add many thoughts or musings of my own. Which is really what blogging is all about! So I am going to try to blog more frequently, although I make no promises.

Friday night as you know I went out with Gorkiana and her friends to celebrate her birthday. We went to Ruby Tuesdays for cocktails and then on to a club called Kabbalah for ALOT of dancing! I had a great time and apart from the fact that I was trying to dance like a latino and talking Spanish, I almost forgot I was in Honduras. Its because there are some places here so smart and modern looking that you just dont expect them to be in a developing country!
I stayed over a Gorkiana's house that night and in the morning we got up early to go visit Chiminike, a science museum for kids. Usually you are not allowed in without a child but we went with a huge group of college students because Gorkiana's father is a professor at the college. I really enjoyed the museum it was alot of fun, there was even a section where you could learn about and SMELL different body odours! haha! However I did have trouble understanding alot of it, as you can imagine the vocab was quite advanced or at least wasn't the kind of stuff you'd use everyday!

Saturday afternoon/night was well a bit of a disaster, it was just one thing after another. I laugh now looking back on it, it was quite funny.
* It all started when the weather turned for the worse with torrential rain and thunderstorms at about 3pm...
* ...this meant that when Carlota got back from the shops she was so busy rushing in not to get wet that she forgot to turn the lights off on the car...
* ...this meant that when we went to try to take Carlos back to his house the car wouldn't start because the battery was dead...
* ...this meant waiting around while a man came to fix it, he then left the engine on so as to charge the battery...
* ...but then of course that meant using up fuel so when it was done we had to pray we would make it to the gas station on virtually no fuel. Anyway we managed it and all was right again with the world as we took various people home. Then we stopped at Manuel and Anna's house as it was thier daughter's birthday. But we didnt stay long as it was getting late and we needed to take Mina home too, (the old lady who lives with us). So its still raining as we get back in the car and head off home, but we dont get far before something happens. At the time i didnt know what all I knew was that I was heading for the roof of the car! Quite scary! Felt like we'd hit something. Carlota pulled over and we realised we'd exploded a tyre. Dont know how though as there was nothing obvious on the road that could have prompted it. So we had to wait on the side of the road until Manuel came to rescue us. We all got drenched changing cars before realising this car too had a flat tyre! Oh my goodness! I wont bore you with the rest of the night but we eventually got home and the next day the car was fixed too. Phew.

Sunday we didnt do much apart from 'do lunch' at Manuel and Anna's house. Champagne and Pupusas. Pupusas are a typical Honduran food, its kind of like tortillas with cheese but its not really, i'm just the best at explaining things I know! ;-) Anyway they are the kind of thing you hate the first time then after 5 months of eating them you start to love them! Why is that?

I had both my English classes this week so I am very pleased. Things are getting a bit more complicated as we are starting on verbs! Still keeping my fingers crossed that no-one asks me to list the irregular english present tense verbs! :-S

Monday after work we went again to the lady taylor who had finished my skirt! Yey! I love it! Its too nice really to wear in Tegus becuase of all the dust and dirt. Maybe for my birthday party, we'll see.

Yesterday was Carlota's birthday so after work Gorkiana and I treated her to dinner and the cinema. We went to see A Night in the Museum 2, which afterwards we realised wasnt the best choice because Carlota hates monkeys and there are two in this film!! Ooops! But I enjoyed it, it was a laugh anyway.

It's wednesday today and I really dont know what I'm going to do tomorrow and friday as the school is closed this week! I might study some spanish, yes its still necessary!

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

They have a Ruby Tuesday in Honduras?! Too funny - I love that place!

Awww, thanks for saying my blog is an inspiration! That made me feel really good. I'm excited to see you in less than three months - how cool!

Keep up the great writing :)