Wednesday 28 January 2009

The ´Honeymoon Period´of culture shock

So I realise that I can´t blog everything, which is really frustrating, but here are some highlights of the past few days...

Carlos, our Spanish teacher, invited me to stay after class for the advanced Spanish with some of the others - this is the ultimate compliment and I am finding it alot more useful than the begginers. I am definitely speaking more Spanish generally now and i can have conversations with Carlota, she is also teaching me some Honduran specific words.

I have had a bad cold for the last few days (which ok is not a highlight) but we had to get it checked out in case it was something worse like Dengue. Fortunately it wasn´t but i was still given alot of pills to take, one every 6 hours and one every 12, God knows what they were!!!

Last sunday I went walking in La Tigra national park with a family friend, his daughter and her two friends. I spent most of the walk trying to explain how yes I do know David Beckham but he doesn´t know me. They were alot of fun though even though it was really difficult to understand them through the giggles. 13 year olds, you know!

I have also witnessed a strike, a fire and a road accident - none of them major and none of them related to each other, I think?

This is officially the longest time I have been without wearing make-up in years so i feel that deserves some recognition!

I went to the cinema again, this time to the one in the mall (which is probably better and cheaper than our cinemas I have to say, reclining seats etc ) to see Max Payne. I learnt that ´alas´means ´wings´very useful word I reckon! And then after this at like 9pm we went to the drive-thro phamarcy, as you do.

And finally, freaking A! there are TGI Fridays in Honduras! I will definately be visiting one soon, if i had my way i´d become a regular but we´ll see. They also have Lucky Charms breakfast cereal at a reasonable price, maybe there is a certain someone who would like me to bring some back to the UK as a wedding present? ;-)

On Friday some of the volunteers and I are planning a trip this weekend to the Pacific Coast, wont be as amazing as the North Coast I´m told but I really want to go anyway to compare it. It will also be a test of our Spanish, negotiation and navigation skills.....oh dear.

Anyway and so the honeymoon period continues...

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

SO excited to see your blog :) I can't wait to keep up with you. I'm linking your site to mine so I can keep up. Off I go to find out what you've been up to!