Tuesday 20 January 2009

So i´m finally in Honduras!!

I havn´t even been here for a week yet and already there have been many ups and downs.

We arrived in Tegucigalpa and were waved through security perhaps a little too easily (I did get a stamp though!) and were greeted by several cameras aiming at us - didnt take long to realise they were not for us since we got pushed out the way! A famous Honduran footballer was arriving apparently. I met my host mum Carlota and she drove me home. She is really nice and speaks quite good English so at least we managed to have a sort of Spanglish conversation. Apparently her son Andreas is voluteering in Sweden at the moment and will be back in August - I also think I have his room so not sure what will happen when he gets back!!!

There are loads of people that seem to often be in our house, I have yet to work out who they are or exactly what they I doing, it´s really confusing! I know we have a housekeeper called Nadia, she washes all my clothes, its awesome!

The weather has been really varied actually, most days in Tegus it is sunny and warm, hot even, but in Valle de Angeles, where we had our orientation camp last weekend, it was really cold and no-one was prepared for it. Wasn´t really very funny, and what made it worse was the cold showers. In fact I have only had cold and luke warm showers since being here!

Since arriving in Honduras I have observed many interesting things;
> There are no road rules or consistent markings the result is effectively chaos as anything goes! They also use their horns constantly, everyone deserves a beep, I doubt it is a sign of love.

> The same goes for people on the road. People are riding in the back of pick up trucks and selling things in the middle of the street, I´ve been told not to eat aything bought on the street - umm yer like I would want to????

> The toilet paper doesn´t get flushed down the toilet, you have to wipe and bin, after you´ve forgotten this a few times you definitely learn!!

I am starting my Spanish course tomorrow, It had better help me improve loads and freaking quickly since I met the girl who is working at my project at the moment and when I said I only knew a little spanish she gave me a concerning look.....hmm ok then.

I am missing everyone back home so much and I am finding it hard here. But hopefully today I will be getting a phone and when that happens everything will seem much better, I know it.

Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm hope you actually did say that you didn't know much Spanish else that look may have been for an entirely different reason! :)