Tuesday 17 February 2009

Garlic bread.............. :-)

Well last week at work has been a new low. As I said before there is no work for me to do yet till my Spanish improves and sitting around in an office surfing the internet is not really helping improve that situation. However Carlota has been really supportive and we went to speak to ICYE yesterday. They suggested for the next 2 months or so I spend 3 days a week at my project here and 2 days a week in another project. That way I will be doing more activities to keep me motivated and my Spanish should improve quicker, so that after that I will have enough to keep me busy full time in CEM-H! So you ready to hear what the other project is? If you know me at all you´re probably going to choke with shock…. Its working in a school for blind children!!! And what’s even more surprising is that I’m unbelievably excited about it! A few months ago I was so adamant I did not want to work with children! I will have to eat my words! We´ll see. Unfortunately they wont so it’s a good job I don’t know that phrase in Spanish as I might offend!!! Ooops!

Despite having a bad bad week, I had fun Wednesday evening and had an awesome weekend. Walter my ICYE contact took me to his friends house to watch the Honduras V Costa Rica football match on Wednesday. Their house is HUGE and we watched the game on a projector on the roof under the stars – It was amazing, and I even watched a bit of the match! ,-)

On Saturday I went to stay with Hayley´s family, another volunteer from England. Her family are crazy and have quite a strange living arrangement – there are 3 women eand several children but they call all the children ´hijos´ and the children call all the women ´mama´ and each other ´brother´ and ´sister´. Anyway they were a lot of fun and we sat and chatted for hours. Then suddenly it was announced that we were going out so we had to get changed and ready in like 5minutes! We all hop in the car- beers in hand – and go to this restaurant/karaoke/disco called El Corral. Hayley´s cousins joined us later, they could speak English and told us all the stuff our mums never would…very useful! The whole time everyone was drinking and smoking a lot (the children were not there)…I still cannot believe they drove home! So 3am in Honduras…hadnt seen that hour here before then. Oh apart from one night when there was a big moth in my room and I had to stuff tissues in my ears to calm my irrational fear that it would crawl in my ear to lay its eggs – that was a late one yes.

Then on Sunday Carlota took me and her cousin to a town ´Ojojona´. Where there were dancers with traditional music, latino meringue and salsa etc but also Garifuna, an indigenous group living on the north coast of Honduras.

Anyway I will let you know how the new project goes soon. Yey!

Highlight of the week: Drive-through banking!!

No comments: