Monday 2 March 2009

No hay internet!!

First I must apologise that it has been so long since my last blog. I have had trouble getting access to internet. I even went to the internet cafe and they said there was no internet! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So you probably want to know how i'm getting along in the school? Well I've only been there 3 days so far but I am definitely enjoying it. The building itself is really big and everything is neatly packed away, obviously so the kids dont trip over, so it doesnt really look like a school - way too empty! (but the kids still trip over and bump into things although they dont seem to care!) There are only about 30 children and have to say they are all lovely and made me feel really welcomed. Everyone knows who I am, what days I'm working and what times! Probably even know my timetable! (yes I do have a timetable, makes me feel youthful again, although the timetable is only really a guide as to what might happen, I have discovered!) Some of the staff and teachers are blind too, I can't believe you can have lessons where no-one in the class can see, but amazingly it seems to work fine.
Now comes the part where I feel like I am on 'The Secret Millionaire' but i'm judging which project could benefit most from my time, not my money unfortunately. I think that although I have fun at the school, I am limited in what I can do to help there, where as in CEM-H they have said that I will be teaching English (ironically when my spanish is better). Perhaps the best thing would be to stay at both projects the whole year? I will wait and see.

Since I last blogged I have been to...
  • a baby shower
  • a freaking awesome birthday party with other volunteers and ex volunteers
  • a different (but equally awesome) birthday party for a 5 year old girl. There was even a pinata*
  • Valle de Angeles (a town outside of Tegus in the mountains)
  • The museum in El Centro
  • A club/bar in Tegus on a thursday night with some students - really classy but with a price tag to match :-(
  • Hayley's house again (I found out her curtains get changed every week to match her bedding - um what??? That is crazy!)
  • and the bank - to get my Honduran bank account! Now I just need some money...
* Pinatas - why I think they would never work in the U.K:
  1. It promotes violence in children (because the idea is to beat this thing with a stick to get the sweets)
  2. General health and safety issues would be argued i'm sure.
  3. It would be considered unfair because some kids, the pushier ones, get more sweets than others (giving rise to further violence issues) In Britain we would probably make the kids put all the sweets together and divide them up equally!
  4. Finally it would not be considered environmentally friendly becuase of all the packaging materials. And I'm not even going to go into the whole healthy eating thing!

In summary I am finding it slightly easier here but getting through the week is still tough. I guess thats no different from life in England really. No-one wants to go to work do they?

49 days till Dave comes to visit! Not that I'm excited or anything.... :-p

No comments: