Tuesday 31 March 2009

Counting down the days...


The weeks are definitely going by a bit faster now which is good because it means I am settling in. I am completely happy with my home and social life, which does tend to overlap! I am also happy at the school although I still don’t feel like I´m helping much apart from amusing the kids at breaktime! So its really just life at the office where I could do with feeling a little more comfortable. However in May I am supposed to be teaching my 12 week course of English so that should give me lots to do and help me integrate more with the others and the local women.
May isn´t that long away really. Next week is Semana Santa and a public holiday for everyone so it will probably go by really quickly. We’re not going anywhere particular just going to have a few day trips out and go to the swimming pool. Basically relax so looking forward to that! Then I´m back at work for 1 week and then Dave is here for 2 weeks and we´re going on holiday! By the time he goes home it will be May! Crazy!

Last Thursday Carlota and I went to the cinema to see Benjamin Button. Not really sure how I feel about it but I can say it was very powerful. So powerful in fact that I completely forgot where I was and was more than a little confused when I was spoken to in Spanish afterwards and I struggled to reply!

Friday I left work early because Carlota, Chi and I got the (very nice) bus to Siguatepeque to stay with Chi´s daughter and family for the weekend. They have a beautiful house, two daughters, a puppy and three turtles. I have to say that Siguatepeque itself is lovely and I kind of want to live there! I cant really explain why I just felt comfortable in the peaceful and modern town.
On Saturday we had a big bbq (which was really tasty) and I met yet more family!
On Sunday we all went to visit La Esperanza, which was a more traditional rural town and whilst they had nice fudge and I´m glad I went, I have no desire to return there!
One of the daughters makes her own jewellery and I watched her make some earrings and was completely fascinated. She gave them to me as a present which was really nice of her. Unfortunately its made me want to do the same so I will have to go out and buy some materials, next week probably. I think the relaxed culture of Latin America has made me appreciate the value of chilling out and made me want to be more arty, just in writing this blog I have to be more creative. Did I tell you that Mina (the elderly woman I live with) is teaching me crochet also!

Yesterday after work we went to the mall with Carlota´s friend and they were taking the piss out of my tummy and saying im going to be brown and fat for when my boyfriend comes to visit. They weren’t being rude its just the culture here, most people get called fat, or if not then they’ll get called skinny. Its just like people here say ´give me a cigarette´or ´give me your phone´(as in show me your phone) and as long as they realise its not acceptable in some other countries then there is nothing wrong with that. It works here!

The laptop has arrived at home (with a webcam) so I am halfway to being in better contact with everyone. Just need to get the internet sorted. I am guessing it will be about a month before that happens. ´Give me internet!´

No comments: