Sunday 22 March 2009

Allergies, pumas and strange toilet situations


It seems summer has arrived here in Honduras, its getting hotter and the selection of fruit to buy is amazing! If you buy fruit on the street to eat like there and then this strange dry mixture gets sprinkled on it. I think its salt and pepper among other things, anyway the end result is that it looks and tastes like it has been dropped on the floor! Having said that the combination is beginning to grow on me! Am I going to be the freak in England that asks for salt and pepper with her fruit salad? Maybe.

The school is all going well, I´ve spoken to ICYE to extend my time here so will be working for a few more weeks at least. There was an outbreak of headlice last week which so far I have managed to avoid, or have I? My head does feel a bit itchy now I think about it!!!

Not much to report in CEM-H either, but I did find out I was in the national newspaper the other weekend, and not because I had been murdered - which is always nice to know. There was a big photo of our information stall for International Womens Day and I am right in the centre!

Last Saturday there was an organised trip to a vineyard in La Tigre national park. It was good fun, we had a little tour then enjoyed a bbq with wine in the afternoon. The bathroom was interesting though. When I walked through the clearly marked door for the toilets inside I found a room with a bed and a guy asleep on it! Ok check, definitely the correct door, so where is the toilet...oh yes here it is in a little alcove on the other side of the room, mmm no door. I could use the toilet but then the guy might wake up and it would mean locking the door and subsequently us both in the room...mmm no thanks! I was taken to a different toilet later though so it was alright in the end!

On the Sunday we went to El Picacho which is a park on the side of a mountain overlooking the city. Had some awesome views!

Yesterday I got up really early as we (Carlota, Carlota´s friend and I) travelled to Choluteca down South. The journey is about 3 hours but very scenic. We stopped to have breakfast on the way and enjoyed a typical Honduran Breakfast which I love! It consists of tortillas, egg, frijoles (like kidney beans), platanos (basically banana), mantequilla (basically cream cheese) and a non descript peice of meat. Whats not to like? For some random reason there was like a zoo at the back of this place and we went to look around (not Carlota as she is afraid of monkeys!). They had parrots, monkeys, emus and pumas among other animals! When we got to Choluteca the heat was insane, but I liked it, we met up with Johannes and had a look around the town. We had lunch and bought loads of fruit as its locally grown and really cheap. Soon it was time to go back again though.

I didn´t go to work on Friday because I felt really rubbish. I´ve had this cold thing for the past few weeks and Carlota took me to the doctor. It was actually A&E but it was a private hospital so not many emergencies apparently. I had fun trying to explain the symptoms in Spanglish! It was diagnosed as Rhinitis, basically allergies. I now have tablets to take but they still insisted on giving me an injection. I hate injections anyway but they couldn´t find my vein so it took several painful, tearful attempts before it worked. Not impressed.

It was Andres´s birthday the other day and to celebrate he took a trip to London. I was looking at his photos and thinking how much I miss London and even felt a little proud and privilaged to live there when I heard he loved it. Am I becoming patriotic? No surely not!

So I´ve been here 9 and a half weeks now. I know its a long time because I had to buy a new notebook today for my Honduran diary. Just as well, I´d never remember all of the above otherwise!

Can I also just say thats its an option to have webdings font on my blog, I mean who would blog in webdings??? What?

No comments: