Tuesday 12 May 2009

THE Holiday












Hello,

I apologise to all my subscribers (hehe, heard you were worried about me!) that I havn't blogged in a long time. I was on holiday for two weeks with Dave, then since i've got back things have been really busy and frankly i've been putting off writing because I knew it was going to take an AGE to write.

Dave arrived in Tegus on April 20th and it was a very happy day for me. It was also quite funny because there were 6 of us to meet him at the airport, me, Carlota, Chi (Carlota's aunt), Berta (Carlota's friend), Berta's daughter and neice. And loads more people wanted to come to see him too but couldn't and were quite disapointed. One of the family members wanted to have a party for him! But we were only in Tegus for 3 days really and all weekdays so couldn't happen unfortunately. I think he was a bit overwhelmed with all the people and all the crazyness of Tegucigalpa and the Spanish, he even spoke French at one point! haha! I can laugh because I did the same at first too. We did the usual trip to the mall and the bank, not the pharmacy which was surprising because we seem to live in the pharmacy sometimes! On our way back to the house we happened to bump into some of the children from my school on a little walk with one of the teachers. So we said hello and they came crowding round the car 'KATHARINE', 'KATHARINE', 'KATHARINE', hehe they are cool children.

The next day we got up super early to get the bus to Copan Ruinas. We really liked Copan Ruinas, its a small, safe, pretty town with plenty of places to buy cocktails, whats not to like? Well Dave aparently doesn't like Honduran mantaquilla as we had to leave for the hotel pretty quickly that night!
We went to the archeological park to see the ancient Mayan Ruins. They were really impressive and the Lonely Planet Guide taught us alot ;-) Smoke from a nearby fire hung around giving it quite a forboding atmosphere. Well I think I mean forboding, not too sure. Anyway it was definately worth going to see and there are other volunteers in Copan that we met up with too so it was fun.
Also in Copan we went on a tour of a coffee plantation place thing, was cool but bit weird as there were only 4 of us. Strangely enough it was a couple from London! They get everywhere the English!

Our next stop was Tela on the north coast. Very nice hotel (apparently no room was on the same floor/level) and there were hammocks which I was really excited about, Dave not so much. The beach in Tela was great with good waves, dont think i've stayed in the sea so long since I was a kid, with good reason probably because afterwards I was buuuuuuuuuuurnt! The town not so great but not horrible either, we mainly stuck to the sea front.

Next we went to La Ceiba. Hmmmm we did NOT like La Ceiba. Probably a combination of the fact that it was a sunday and nothing was open, there was a very dodgy guy on the beach who spoke to us and after eating pizza hut I was violently ill for the whole night and wasn't properly better for 3 days. I was even sick in the street! haha, not so fun times. Anyway because of that we decided not to go on a canopy tour but to head straight to the island of Roatan, a very wise decision I think.

The boat journey to Roatan would have been horrific if it wasn't for Dave's travel sickness pills! I have never been on a boat journey soooo rocky and with members of staff rushing around giving out sick bags and paper towels but looking like its something they do everyday. Which they obviously do!

Roatan was pretty amazing. It wasn't luxury but it was still idealic. The beaches, the hotel, the restaurants, the fruit smoothies, the sunsets, the lizards, the snorkling, the DIVING! All was amazing and even though I spent a day and a half in the hotel ill I still had an awesome time. But it was over way too quickly and we had to go back to the smelly, dirty, dangerous and crazy city I call home.

We had a whole day in Tegus so I took Dave to my school to meet the children and we ended up spending a long time in the public hospital because one of the girls had to take her brother and didnt want to go alone, bet Dave didnt expect that! Then we went to the city centre and got covered in 'polvo' or dust in English.

When we went to the airport to say goodbye to Dave it was horrible, I was really upset and I still am sad but I'm much better than before. It wasnt as bad as leaving England in January because I was leaving everyone for a whole new situation, at least I know where I am this time and what to expect. Its not so bad really. ;-)


No comments: