Tuesday 12 May 2009

The Post Holiday Blues














(See also post below about the holiday)

When Dave left life was hard for a couple of days. But things improved by Friday becuase it was Honduran Mothers Day and we had celebrations at the school. So we danced and sang and ate alot of food and there were presents for all the mums. I got talking to one of the mums, called Sandra, and she was really excited by what I was doing and where I was from etc that she wanted me to go to her house and meet her family and everything. So that afternoon we went to her house, very nice, and she said I could use the internet and act as if it was my house but genuinely meaning it! Strange! Then we went out to meet her husband at a clinic because he's a doctor and he was really fun as well, then we went to have dinner and I didnt get back to the house until gone 9pm! Its amazing the things that happen when you're a volunteer, so many experiences and opportunities.

This week my English classes started for CEM-H so I have been busy. I have to say they went surprisingly well and I even enjoyed the second class! I am now teaching one class on a monday and one on a tuesday with different groups of women (young and not so young) for 12 weeks provisionally. It depends how they go. Its great to finally feel like I'm doing something to help at last! I knew 6 months wasn't long enough in a country - the volunteers who are leaving in August only have about 7 or 8 weeks of work left! If that was me I'd feel frustrated because its not long enough to really be of help. However there is a slight problem with the location of the clases because they are in a centre which is outside of Tegus and to get there I have to take a bus, a public bus, and alone. Anyway Carlota really really doesnt like this as she says its dangerous so we're trying to figure out what to do. For the mean time her son is going to acompany me there but he has university so its far from an ideal situation. I spoke to the other volunteer at CEM-H and she says its always a problem with the host families but they have to realise that i work as a volunteer in a charity to help underprivilaged people and in its very nature its going to involve working in potentially dangerous situations. Lots of the girls from CEM-H take the bus alone to the centre and say its absolutely fine nothing to worry about. I think its probably alright too and its not as if it's after dark, but then I have to accept this is Honduras and I left 'indepence' and 'freedom' behind in England.

So tomorrow I plan my next class of English. I hope there are no tricky grammar questions!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like South Africa - so many people take busses in dangerous areas and are ok and say that all is fine but then again they have probably been very lucky! I can really understand your host family's concern. Will pray that nothing goes wrong!