Monday 28 September 2009

Yet to have a 'normal' week...

Jade, Me and Oscar out the weekend before last

A view of the mountains outside Tegucigalpa

So you have probably all heard that Manuel Zelaya is back in the country and causing further disruptions and chaos. And he appeared on my first day back in my project!!! It caused the children to acuse me of bringing him back myself! haha as if. Although I have tried to see the point of view of both sides, I am definately going with my family here that we are better off with Mitcheletti until the elections in November. That is as long as Mel isn't here causing mayhem!

So anyway I didn't go back to work again until the Friday last week. Tuesday and Wednesday we had an ALL DAY ALL NIGHT curfew, the WHOLE COUNTRY!! Can you believe it? I definately couldn't. Since then we have had a regular night time curfew which is especially annoying at weekends! When all this finally resolves itself the country is surely going to be the poorest in the whole of Cental and South America!

Having said all that I am happier here now than I ever was before, possibly also because I know I only have 12 weeks left to appreciate it. No-one should worry about me honestly I am fine and safe and I have contacts if it gets too dangerous. But hopefully I wont have to use them.

I have slowly been giving out my presents from England. Carlota loves her London teapot, must remember to take a photo some time. And the kids liked their sweets from 'England' which were actually from the States, but they dont know that :-S. I was very excited to see Chi again last week, she really is lovely we can talk for hours. She bought me back a shell necklace from her holiday on the north coast the other week.

Andres, my brother, is due to start university next week here in Tegus which will be good because he is getting very bored being at home all day. He is going to study Business Administration, same as I did. But is still thinking of studying in Sweden so might change after a year or so.

I did go to the cinema the other week to see 'Amor y Frijoles'. It was really good actually and I understood it all. Obviously not every word but enough, plus it was easier because its very typically Honduran, the slang they use and everything. Really want to buy it to show people back home. No-one buys real dvds here though they are all copies bought from the street. Even though its illegal the defence is normally 'we do it to help the youths, you know they have to pay for their studies and everything'.

Nothing else that I have done has been amazingly interesting, and sadly it might not be until the curfew is lifted. I have spent alot of time watching the news and talking with people about the situation and hearing the latest gossip, 'oooo the protesters are going to do this or that or the curfew is going to be at 6pm tonight' etc. That is what it is like here at the moment. I wonder how long this can continue? Well I'm certainly not expecting a breakthrough anytime soon.

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

:) You saw a movie called Love and Beans? That's too funny! I may have to look it up and check it out. What sweets did you give them from America? That's also pretty funny! Enjoy your time...it'll fly by!