Wednesday 7 October 2009

Forward planning and Hondurans? forget it!!!


(Lourdes and I dancing at the school's anniversary party last Sunday)

So things are going well here, its what 4 weeks in? There are no curfews anymore and things seem calmer from the political point of view which is awesome. I'm getting back into a routine and yer im happy. I do realise now more than ever that I really dont have much time left to fit everything in I want to do and to organise my travelling. I'm finding however that making plans is almost impossible because the Hondurans are really laid back and dont commit to forward planning. I am trying my best though.

Jade and I have decided to do a four day trip to Costa Rica in November, hardly know anything about the country and what there is to do but still am really really looking forward to it!

My good friend Oscar will be moving to El Salvador next monday which is a bit sad. Of course it does give me a good excuse to include El Salvador on the list of places to travel! Currently trying to plan this.....ummm we'll see...

Today I found out that the Honduran Government is closing the public schools early this year, so that means our school is closing....THIS MONTH!! Umm what? How much school have these kids missed already this year? It's really not on, these are poor kids and the sad fact is that they will probably continue to be poor because the public education is shocking (and the rich kids that are sent to bilingual schools will continue to be rich). And even if the teachers aren't on strike or the lessons havn't been cancelled from the political crisis, then the parents haven't brought the kids to school probably because they didnt expect classes to be on! Anyway I'm still not sure if its certain but it is a bit upsetting for me too because i'l miss the kids. I'm not worried that I wont have anything to do though because I already have contacts with other projects to go to for a few weeks.


Despite having a fairly relaxing weekend I am soooo freaking tired, so im sorry this isn't a long blog. Hopefully I will make up for it next time.

Two new firsts experienced this week:

* Riding on the back of a motorbike - amazing.

* AND.... changing a nappy - not so amazing.

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn said...

That picture is adorable!!! I really like it. I hope you take lots of pictures in Costa Rica :)