Tuesday 1 December 2009

Elections in Honduras (and horse picture)


So first of December. Big day meaning only 20 days left to go before I arrive back in England! A day I would normally be celebrating by eating an undersized chocolate but they dont have that custom over here. No this year is different. This year I celebrated in style by falling spectactularly down the stairs! And so I didnt go to work today, its not really painful but mainly because in my project I have to lift and carry children around and that would definately not help the healing process. So I`m just going to rest till tomorrow. I am still feeling Christmassy though because yesterday we went to the mall and they were playing xmas music, so I decided to buy a CD of christmas music in Spanish. Alot of the songs are the same just in Spanish but there are some cool different ones. I already sing them in my head.

You probably want to know about the elections then? Well despite them finding a few bombs in the weeks leading up to the elections, but please dont worry im safe, the day of the elections passed by really peacefully. So many people went to vote that didnt last time apparently. It took Andres 45 minutes when we went with him, and not because he was indecisive! I went along just to see what the fuss was about, but apprently I shouldn`t really have been there because when a photographer tried to take a photo of me Carlota freaked out `Nooooo its prohibited for her!`. haha, she is like my body guard. I fell asleep before they`d finished counting the votes that night but I found out the next day that Pepe Lobo of the National Party won with over half the votes. I think everyone is fairly happy with that. Although I think some countries are saying that its wasnt a fair vote or something. Wow I really cant express myself properly in English anymore! The really interesting thing about the voting though which I think is a major difference to the UK is that everyone talks about who they are voting for and ask others that question and then they will tell people who to vote for. It would be rude to tell someone who to vote for back home right? Its like `thankyou but I have a right to my own opinion im not going to do what you tell me!` Plus everyone knows who supports which party, its like `oh well shes going to vote for Pepe because shes a nationalist`. Things are just a bit more private in England aren`t they or am I wrong?

In my project they`ve now stopped going to the horse therapy thing for the year but thankfully I took some photos before I left. Above you can see me with one of the kids. He would always say `brooooooooooom moto moto` which means motorbike, and we`re like `moto no, cab-a-llo` which means horse. He doesn`t seem to get it though. :-P

No comments: