Monday 23 November 2009

Costa Rica




So as you probably know, Jade and I went to Costa Rica last week for 5 days (although we only had 3 full days there). I had a good time although I did expect more from Costa Rica, I dont know why but I had thought it was kind of a big deal `the switzerland of central america` they told me! So maybe it was the fact that we didnt see the north coast or that the weather was really crappy but it was a slight disappointment. I think the first photo says it all about the weather, Costa Rica is green, green, green.
We were staying in San Jose, the capital city, so we had one day trip out the beach, but on the pacific coast, and so it was a bit dirty and not very attractive. The weather was overcast but it was sooo humid. But there were lots of souvenir shops and friendly people that wanted to talk to us. And at least one great thing about Costa Rica is that it is so safe! Well I`m comparing it to Honduras so its probably moderately less safe than the UK. But Jade and I got the bus on our own and were walking in the street at night and stuff so for us to do that when we are so used to living in fear it was amazing!
The second day we spent wondering around the city and visiting museums and stuff, yer wasnt that great. The national museum is worth going to though. We also visited a souvenir market which really was great! Jade and I got bargaining and probably bought way more than we should have done - especially since we would have spent the majority of our time in HONDURAS! haha.
The third day we visited a town outside the city called `Cartago` and came across the rather beautiful cathedral shown above. Then we visited some nearby gardens which was where the other photo was taken.
We also visited the mall in San Jose and went to the cinema to see a Costa Rican film. It was really interesting to hear how the accents and words differed from those in Honduras, plus it was a generally good film and I think I understood everything! yes!
Jade has now gone off the Ecuador to visit here boyfriend who lives there and I am back in Tegucigalpa Honduras awaiting the chaos of the elections next weekend. Oh and still working and enjoying my project.

In other news there is very little new stuff. I met two Honduran girls that are going to England in January for a volunteer year like me. I laughed so much when one of them said they were going to Brighton because here the people are generally very homophobic and you would NEVER see a gay couple in...well pretty much anywhere. So I think the year will definately be an eye opener for her! haha! Its cool because I will be around to help them settle in England and can use them to practice my spanish! haha alterior motives! No but really I will help them, currently I am advising them what clothes to buy....because they dont have anything warm enough to deal with the ice age that is winter in England! "Will I be able to wear these sandles Kat?" "...um well put it this way, I have hundreds of shoes and only about 2 pairs of sandals, a bit like you have loads of sandals and only 2 pairs of `closed` shoes!" Although there are always the strange ones that wear flip flops and shorts all year round... :-S

No comments: